Sunday, March 25, 2007

One Daffodil


One Daffodil Can Make a Difference

Visiting the Centre for Alternative Technology has been like opening the door to a Wonderland. I've been reading the Crazy Idealists? The CAT Story and everything just resonates.

During my visit there were two things that really struck me. At the beginning, the intro video playing at the site which stated that if the rest of the world behaves like we have done in the West, we'll require something like two more earths in addition to this one to support it! From then on it was if the door had been opened, I'd passed over the threshold and I'd come home. Just before I left I saw the daffodil growing on the living roof of a building and I thought, that's what I want.

CAT was set up in 1974 - I was 14. It's taken a long time for me to reach this point and I've been on many journeys but the biggest one begins now. We are planning our sustainable house, a not so Grand Design but oh, so great for the environment.


I'm at the last chapter of Ballard's 1973 novel Concrete Island - another 'must read'. This is the third of his books I've just read and every one of them is socially pertinent to today and tomorrow. I'm finding they dovetail with what CAT are saying - he is the Oracle of Shepperton.


rustle
(Just watched the Bioshock teaser over on Eurogamer - WoW!)


Copyright © 2007 THE GREEN ORCHARD Ltd. All rights reserved.
All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

No comments: