Monday, August 25, 2008

First Draft

’When you have finished writing your story, it is not the end, it is just the beginning - it is your fist draft’.

So runs this amalgam of words from various authorities on writing that used to strike terror into my heart. I mean, I’ve just finished it, the words are sacrosanct, I like it how it is!

I realise now, it was immaturity on my part. I see that revision enhances a work, rather than just ‘changing my words’. I know I’ve matured a little (that’s matured as in matured in writing terms from a two year old to a two and a half year old, rather than like an old cheese). I do review my work and review is no longer a word of terror for me. However, I still keep my ‘first drafts’ - as is, untouched, clean. They're like a security blanket or loved toy, kept out of sight in a bedroom - it’s good to know they're there.

(I even reviewed this before I published it!)


RP


Copyright © 2008 THE GREEN ORCHARD Ltd. All rights reserved.
All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

No comments: