Sunday, October 07, 2007

Howl's Moving Castle

Studio Ghibli - bringer of Japanese animation to the west, graced my eyes and cerebellum last night. I originally saw this at The Watershed in Bristol when it went on 'arthouse' (hate that title) release in the UK. I was blown away then across Howl's field of flowers - I was again last night. Standout moments are; in the hatshop - in fact the whole European town setting scenes, the Wicked Witch of the Wastes' henchmen as they carry her about in a sedan chair, Howl's bedroom (no it's not that type of film) and Howl's field. I didn't initially like the fire (voiced by Billy Crystal of City Slickers fame) first time around but this time I did. The story is involved but stick with it and it's worthwhile.

The original story is by Diane Wynne Jones who lives in Bristol (it's on my list of books to read) and she is planning a new book with a guest appearance of Howl. She likes the film and Miyazaki came to UK to provide a private showing upon completion - cool.

Howl's Moving Castle - Hauru no ugoku shiro

Hayao Miyazaki

Studio Ghibli

RP



Copyright © 2007 THE GREEN ORCHARD Ltd. All rights reserved.
All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

No comments: