Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A GLASTONBURY TALE (4)

Tentacles

I never went camping as a child for family holidays. We always went to Guest Houses on the east coast of England; Scarborough, Bridlington but I did go camping once, with the 'cubs', I think. It was to London! We camped in a hall somewhere. It was surreal! Instead of being under canvas, we were under a beam and plastered roof! The next time I went camping was when I met Mu, in the 80's. That was a borrowed tent (from my 'to be' sister-in-law), it was mustard-coloured and made by Vango, can't remember the model. It was early on in the year so it was cold and wet in the mornings. I remember a fog horn marking time at Flamborough Head. But we were in love (still are) so everything seemed wonderful. Since then we've camped in Cornwall in the sun and at Portmeirion in North Wales (I am not a numbskull, I am a free van!) and in Northern France (allo, allo in a camp voice) in a larger, family-sized tent (heavy as hell).
Please note, these were all interspersed expeditions with years of hotel luxury. Each one praying that the sun going down truly was 'Red Sky At Night' and a 'Delight', not 'Torrential Downpour In A Morning'!

Camping does have its rewards though; watching the sun go down at night (hoping it'll come back up in the morning), the smell of LapsangSouchong tea (the smoky one) masking the odour of the latrines, purchasing over-priced chocolate from the camp shop. When you're camping, everything has heightened appeal.

I've been putting out tentacles to find a suitable tent for us for Glastonbury, we've chosen a Vango tent (ah, the nostalgia). It's a lot bigger than the previous affair though, some headroom and communal space - the Orchy 400 (why couldn't it have been called The Dominator, or The Intrepid or The Beast?) We're tentatively choosing which site to camp on from the map and are intent on being away from any flooding area. I'd be content with the Pennard Hill Ground or Dairy Ground sites, not sure which yet but it will definitely be away from the toilets!

Camping? Bring it on...

My intent is to bring more tent news later...


RP


Copyright © 2008 THE GREEN ORCHARD Ltd. All rights reserved.
All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

No comments: