Friday, September 08, 2006

There and back again...

Last night we got back from two days in Yorkshire. It was two days out of my crumbling schedule but it has helped me mentally plaster over the cracks. It was two days spent in the peak District - Derbyshire. Morning coffees, afternoon teas, antiques and collectibles.

On the way up, the soundtrack was provided by Mozart: Die Zauberflote by Klemperer. On the way back down, Wagner: Parsifal by Boulez. A big change from Blind Guardian but all three are German! One thing though, I'm itching to play 'A Twist...'.

The days were hot and sunny, the food was bad for me, the scenery was majestic and everything I wanted to buy was too expensive - just the way I like it! But the icing on the extremely rich sponge with double whipped cream, dusted with icing sugar cake was chancing upon a window-full of Rupert annuals in a little bookshop in Castleton. I bought an excellent example of a 1992 annual to help swell my collection (The 1950's one had a damaged spine and was too expensive).

We went up to visit my sister who is recovering from a big operation. We had not been up there for almost a year and it was a great break, away from day-to-day life. Sometimes you just have to break out and leave what seems so important so you can return focused (I'm a great one for breaks - have 'em all the time, just have trouble with the focusing bit).

We didn't outwit Trolls or steal treasure from Dragons but I do feel we went there and back again and have come away with a gold ring in the form of memories of good times.


rustle.



Copyright © 2006 THE GREEN ORCHARD Ltd. All rights reserved.
All other products or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

No comments: